I'm all ready to start my maintenance tomorrow, but now my insurance says that they won't cover both drugs that my docs intend to give me. The combination is new for this kind of treatment so there isn't enough data to support their support. Bah! They will pay for one drug or the other, but not both. At least not right now. It will go into arbitration. I think my case is a little different than most. I'm young, I'm otherwise healthy, I'm not showing any symptoms, there has been no metastasis and I'm in remission. This is different than most stage IV lung cancer situations. Think the opposite. I have a chance to live a lot longer than most people with this BS. I'm hoping the insurance company will see this as a good thing.
I offered to pay for the "cheaper" of the drugs out of pocket... but it costs $10,000 every three weeks. I get a 30% discount if I pay on time. So that's good. Ha ha ha! I still may try to find a way to do this if the arbitration doesn't go my way or if there's no other way to go, but I'm going to wait. For now I'm getting just the Avastin.
Have I mentioned that cancer sucks?
Right now, I'm looking forward to seeing some old friends next week, then jetting off to NYC for the weekend to master my friend Bab's album. For those that don't know, I'm starting Quagmire Records again to release Tim Alexander's music. Mastering this album is the first step.
Then I'm going to Kauai for great vacation with my family. Even my sister, her son, and my brother in-law will be coming out for a while. I'll post photos. Follow me on Instagram - @beach
I'm also just trying to stay in the moment.