Yesterday I spoke at the SF Bay Area Publicity Club's luncheon about new media, blogging, podcasting and the like. I had a great time and the people there were very friendly and interested in what's going on with the medium and how they can best take advantage of it.
Here's a recap of what I discussed and some things that I wanted to talk about but didn't have time:
- Blogging is easy
- You are interesting, you should blog
- Your clients should blog
- Write everyday if you can
- Be sincere and honest: authentic
- Don't spam bloggers
- Pick a few targeted bloggers to engage based on subject matter and reach
- Become a fan of that blogger
- Invite them to special events
- Show them what's going on behind the scenes
- Don't worry about warts, no one is perfect
- Never ever fake or stage something, it will always bite you in the ass
- Take advantage of the medium: use flickr, myspace, youtube, blogger, typepad, yahoo groups, wink collections, feedburner, bloglines, technorati, google analytics, etc.
- Podcasting is easy too, but it's open to more scrutiny
- Have more luncheons, the food was good.